The Cheese Touch is a game, mainly played at Westmore Middle School, throughout the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. If somebody has the Cheese Touch, they will be a social outcast until they pass it onto someone else by touching them, which is pretty difficult, as no one would go near the person. The Cheese Touch was started by touching a moldy slice of cheese on the basketball field that someone had left there, which never got picked up. As mentioned in the movie diary, the Cheese is the main antagonist of the first book and film.
The Cheese Touch was first mentioned at the start of the first book, where it is revealed that The Cheese Touch originated from a piece of moldy cheese lying on the basketball court. The first person to have the cheese touch was Darren Walsh, who touched the cheese, started the whole thing and lied to everybody. Greg says he "Doesn't want the cheese touch started up again because he doesn't want that kind of stress in his life anymore".
The only way for people to protect themselves from the Cheese Touch is to cross their fingers instead of wearing protective gear. Greg ended taping his fingers together so he doesn't get it, and he got a D in handwriting, but he said it was totally worth it. At the end of the story, Rowley Jefferson was forced into eating the moldy cheese by the teenagers who sprayed some fire extinguisher at Greg and Rowley at Halloween and started chasing them after Greg said "I saw your plates. We're calling the cops!" to Rowley, therefore Rowley ending The Cheese Touch, although he has the cheese touch when eating it. Greg Heffley was known to have almost The Cheese Touch, because he lied to not let everybody know that Rowley has The Cheese Touch, but almost touching the cheese was Greg's fault and an accident. In the movie, Patty got The Cheese Touch when she hugged Rowley in the end. In the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies, the cheese used for The Cheese Touch is made out of silicone.
In Double Down, someone tried to start the Cheese Touch again, however, the teachers didn't want the nonsense to start again. However, one kid sneaks a Roast Beef onto the basketball court at recess, and a kid replied that he had the Roast Beef Touch. However, it did not get the same effect as the Cheese Touch.
People known to have the Cheese Touch
- Darren Walsh
- Greg Heffley (Not actually, was mistaken to)
- Rowley Jefferson (Only to be saved by Greg)
- Abe Hall
- Deten Mural (Diary of a Wimpy Kid (2010 film only)
- Jeremy Pindle (Current)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid (First appearance)
- Is it unknown if the Cheese Touch is game of tag.
- It is not known what happened to the Cheese Touch, since it was not mentioned in any book after Rodrick Rules. It is likely that it dissolved as Jeremy Pindle is not seen giving it to anyone else and since Rowley ate the cheese.
- This is further evidenced by Double Down, as everyone seemed to forget if people even had the cheese touch anymore.
- In the 2012 novel, Wonder, Auggie references the Cheese Touch, when he notices "The Plague", a cooties-like game involving him.