|Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway|
The cover of the book
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017
This article contains major plot spoilers! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
- Greg Heffley
- Manny Heffley
- Rodrick Heffley
- Frank Heffley
- Susan Heffley
- Rodrick's Girlfriend
- Director of Fun (Main Antagonist)
Greg Heffley and his family are getting out of town.
With the cold weather and the stress of the approaching holiday season, the Heffleys decide to escape to a tropical island resort for some much-needed rest and relaxation, instead of staying home. A few days in paradise should do wonders for Greg and his frazzled family.
But the Heffleys soon discover that paradise isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Sun poisoning, stomach troubles, and venomous critters all threaten to ruin the family's vacation. Can their trip be saved, or will this island getaway end in disaster? 
The story begins with Greg saying how he gets bored of hearing about other people's holidays, and that he only enjoys the ones that go wrong. As a result, he mentions the holiday his family just went on, and the story goes back a few weeks.
Greg Heffley notices that his family are getting frustrated with the holidays and they're way behind on everything; they have not put up decorations or bought gifts, and the cold is driving his parents crazy. When Susan and Frank see a commercial about a resort (where they went for their honeymoon), they both immediately decide to skip Christmas and stay there instead, much to Greg's dismay and protest. He does not like the idea of travelling by plane and does not want it as his Christmas present. Manny and Rodrick, however, are on board. The family head to the airport on Christmas Eve.
They are delayed by a series of mishaps. They encounter holiday traffic but arrive at the airport. As they fail to unload in time at the drop off zone, Frank and Greg have to return later with the luggage. Greg steps in a slush puddle and they end up missing the shuttle.
In the airport, the family's suitcases are too heavy, so they stuff some clothes into their carry on baggage. They enter the line for security, but a child unclips a barrier separating the lines, and everybody gets scrambled. They go through security and are delayed again by somebody who has to remove all of his piercings. Manny then gets his toy stuck in an escalator, delaying them more. As a result, the family panic, grab some luggage and dash to the gate. It turns out their flight is delayed. Greg goes to dry his sock but destroys it while doing so. He hears that the flight is overbooked, and tries to stop his family boarding in exchange of a hotel stay and $300 (soon $500), but is stopped by Susan. A replacement crew for the plane is required and they finally board.
Greg is first impressed by the plane's first class seats before he discovers that he has to sit in economy. However, Frank collected enough air miles because of his business trips to sit in first class. In economy, Mom, Rodrick, and Manny are seated in the right row. Greg finds out he has three seats to himself, until a family arrives late on board. The couple sit on either side of him with their baby. Greg becomes paranoid when he watches the emergency video and begins to ask questions about unfortunate events. Greg is very aggravated of the other passengers because most aren't watching the emergency video. Mid flight, he feels boxed in when the people in front recline and the person behind slides his feet on Greg's armrest. Greg tries to recline his chair too but when he asks the flight attendant how, he learns that he can't because the row behind him is an emergency exit. He tries to swap seats with Frank but is denied access to the First Class area. He stays in the bathroom because the couple's baby started to get annoying, but then he returns to his seat after experiencing turbulence. He was somehow able to sleep for the rest of the flight.
As they land on Christmas Day, Greg begins to understand why the family came there. They touch down and began to head to the resort, Isla de Corales. He is even excited by the activities the resort offer which he sees on the bus. However, Frank and Susan are disappointed that the resort has since changed, and it is now split with a family side (the Mild Side) and a couple side (the Wild Side). The family also discovers that they got the wrong luggage that is locked, and their luggage was sent back home. They only have the clothes they put in their hand luggage. They attempt to buy some new clothes, but Frank won't buy them because they are too expensive.
The family goes to explore the resort and end up at the pool. The Director of Fun shows up, however, and gets everybody moving. Greg is forced to take part in two games. After this, Greg sees an iguana by the pool and is worried, so the family goes to get some lunch. Greg and his family try to eat outside; however, too many birds and bugs keep ruining their meals. Frank contracts a severe cholera from his water, so they head back to the suite.
The next day, Greg uses the shower which is outside. As he puts on his slipper, a giant spider falls out. Greg has an intense fear of spiders. As a result, he calls room service, but the lady who answers says that there is a do not disturb sign on the door knob. The lady says he has to order food for someone to come. The waiter who arrives also is scared of spiders. Eventually, they manage to trap the spider and flush it down the toilet. The family heads to the beach without Frank as he is still at the suite. He returns, however and reveals that he found the same spider that Greg attempted to flush away on the toilet seat. Manny develops an obsession with collecting sea creatures in his bucket so he can have them as pets. Unfortunately, he is upset by Susan when she returns them, so they go to the activities.
Before this, they have to find Rodrick, who has been in the teen zone helping a girl get her lip ring out of the volleyball net. They first try the banana boat, but this is ruined when a kid using a water trampoline lands on and bursts their float. They get hungry, so they go to the golf clubhouse which turns them down as they are not following the dress code. They go to the poolside bar, and learn of a monkey which has been returning there for drinks every day. They are chased away when Manny finds the TV remote, changes the channel to his favorite cartoons, and throws the remote in the water. Greg goes to the arcade, and the family regroup later to find Rodrick. The same girl he helped earlier is now his girlfriend. In the evening, they go to the beach bonfire and go to see turtle hatching. Just as they are prepared to leave, they begin to hatch- but they lose their way to the sea as people are using the flashes on their phones to take photos.
The next day, Susan goes to the spa and Frank goes to the gym. Rodrick then goes back to the teen zone. Greg takes Manny to the Toddler's Cabana, but Manny gets out of going there because he is not potty trained. He puts Manny in the pool, but has to get him out again later. Susan booked a charter cruise for the whole family due in thirty minutes. On the cruise (which turns out to be a regular boat), the captain offers them to go scuba diving. Greg is freaked out by all of the deadly animals and only stays in for one photo. As he surfaces, he swallows a big gulp of water. He thinks a seahorse was in there too- so they return to the bay to see a doctor. Frank and Susan were both seasick, so they just return to the poolside.
They see the Director of Fun, who keeps circling their chair, but suddenly stops at a plastic bag in Manny's bucket. It is actually a box jellyfish which Manny smuggled from the scuba diving, where the Director of Fun launches it back into the pool in fear. Because the pool workers can not find the jellyfish, they have to drain the pool. They escape in the commotion, and notice Rodrick isn't there. He had been left in the sea where they went scuba diving and had extreme sunburn. They return to the suite and decide to spend their last few days outdoors.
The next day, Greg goes to the tennis court in hopes of learning how to play tennis. Unfortunately, it was just a cage full of children with a ball machine and tennis balls. It turns into a free-for-all, which stops suddenly when a kid recognizes Greg as the family who brought a box jellyfish to the poolside. He tries to tell them that it was Manny's fault, but they throw tennis balls at him. He quickly escapes the cage and goes back to the suite with his family. They were out of things to do and want to leave the resort early; however, Frank refuse to leave until he gets a decent meal. Manny discovers that the suitcase they got on mistake fell and broke and has the clothes they need to get in the clubhouse. They each wear some of the clothes in there; they first head to the clubhouse, and then the putting green for golf. However, they are spotted by a security guard, who escorts them out of the green. A family had reported them for wearing their missing clothes.
They attempted a failed getaway, and are ultimately sent back to the hotel to return the clothes. They were also ejected from the hotel for theft, so they were forced to stay overnight at the airport hotel. The next day, Susan refuses to leave the resort to leave on a high note. So they sneak in. They skip the pool and then find Rodrick's girlfriend with a man named Rodrigo. They go back to the beach, and scavenge for food by distracting others and then eating their food. They go to take one more photo, but are spotted by the family who they took clothes from.
The Heffleys try to escape the resort. Greg heads for the beach and windsurfs away. He gets stuck in the dolphin swimming area, but is chased back to shore by security. He ends up on the Wild Side (couple) of the beach and lands on a nudist beach. Greg runs for the wall dividing the two sides; just where his family was passing. Greg tries to climb over the wall, but this is destroyed by a stampede of tourists. The family escapes unnoticed and heads to the airport.
When they get back on Sunday, December 30th, Greg wants to show Rowley where he went to for his Christmas holidays. He discovers there that his family has been banned from the resort for the rest of their lives and are wanted.
- This is the third blue book (Rodrick Rules first and Cabin Fever second).
- This is the 12th book of the series.
- This is the third book to include a reptile skin design and the second to include the new amulet logo.
- Fregley makes no appearances for the fifth time.
- This is the second book that takes place on a vacation (the first is The Long Haul).
- This is also the second book where the book only covers 1 month, which is December (the first is The Long Haul).
- This is also the fifth book to feature Greg’s trademark frown on the cover.
- For some reason, the pig is absent in this book.
- This is the third book where Rowley is not seen on the title page.
- Larry Larkin makes a cameo on page 22.
- This is the first and only book that takes place in a tropical island resort.
- This is the third book that takes place in Christmas (the first being Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the second being Cabin Fever).
- This is the second book in which Rowley has a minor role (the first being in The Long Haul).
- This is the second book in which the color of the spine is different than that of the cover (the first being Double Down).
- There's a few pop culture reference in this book.
- Jurassic Park was referenced when Greg is running away from the iguana.
- Spider-Man got mentioned when Greg is climbing up the fence in the Tennis Court.
- The Heffley Family getting banned and famous was a reference of various The Simpsons episodes where they got banned from a lot of places.
- The Getaway's main plot is almost similar to the 1985 National Lampoon's European Vacation film's plot, both families are going to a different country on an airplane, there a few romance in each of them, and there some other similarites between the book and the film.
- A Star Wars character is shown in the page 76 wielding a light saber.
- At the end of the book, a picture is shown of the Heffley family on a banana boat with crosses on them with a caption that reads: "ATTENCIÓN!" "Póngase en contacto con Isla de Corales si conoce la identidad de las personas en la foto de arriba." This is Spanish for "ATTENTION!" Contact Isla de Corales if you know the identity of the people in the photo above."
- Greg‘s waist seems way too high throughout the entire book. This could just be a new character design.
- Rowley seems too tall on some pages, especially page 184.
- Greg’s pants are longer than his dad's pants on page 78. His pants are also too big in page 14 since it almost touches 3 lines when it should only be touching about less than 2.5.
- Rodrigo's goatee is missing when his girlfriend takes the Heffley's picture.
- When Greg explains that the lady liked the window, and the guy liked the side, his left arm is missing.
- ↑ http://www.wimpykid.com/faq/
- ↑ http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2017/03/30/diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-book-12-release-date-jeff-kinney/99705614/
- ↑ https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/04/26/arts/ap-us-books-the-wimpy-kid.html?_r=0
- ↑ http://www.abramsbooks.com/product/getaway-diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-book-12_9781419725456/