Magick and Monsters (Dungeons and Dragons in the online version) is a fantasy board game that appears in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Its only appearance was in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (However, it was mentioned in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days and appears to have a series of novels as well as rule books), when Greg, Rowley, and Rowley's babysitter Leland played it. Susan decided to play after learning what it was about, but does not get the concept of playing, "ruining" the game.
When Susan finds out the game is enjoyable, she decides to buy Magick and Monsters for Greg and gets every single version of the game. Greg quotes that "Mom didn't cash in a single Mom Buck." as well. After buying it for Greg, Susan informs him that she bought it for the sole purpose of bonding time between Greg and Rodrick. Greg attempts to play with Rodrick, dumbing down the characters to names such as "Joe" and "Bob" in order to not look like a nerd in front of Rodrick. However, Rodrick is reluctant and ends the game immediately. The game is never seen again, only briefly mentioned in Dog Days.
The game has a game-master (Leland) who decides the story according to the players' choice. The main objective of this game is to battle monsters.
Mead is a type of alcoholic drink, which is sort of like beer in the game. Susan disapproves of it and whenever Greg's character is drinking it in the tavern, Susan's character pushes the drink out of the bar-table.
- The game closely resembles the fantasy role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons, and is most likely based on it.
- In the online version it is actually called Dungeons and Dragons which hints that its the same game, just changed to avoid copyright issues.
- The supplies needed to play are pens, paper, and dice.
- It is referenced in Dog Days.
- Susan’s character is named Mom.
- Greg’s characters are a wizard Talroc and a dwarf Grimlon. When playing with Rodrick he had two characters called Joe and Bob, which are generic names he chose that Rodrick wouldn't make fun of. However Rodrick refers Greg's two characters as nerds.