Rowley Jefferson is Greg Heffley's forced best friend, deuteragonist, and occasionally antagonist in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. He has overprotective parents who aren't fond of Greg's behavior, assuming that he is a bad influence (which for several reasons he mostly is). He was the main antagonist in Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but is then often seen as an anti-hero in the series, despite being the main character's best friend, as he often does idiotic, nonsensical things to get Greg in trouble while he gets off scot-free. Despite this idiotic behavior, though, Rowley always wishes the best for everyone.
Rowley is an immature boy in several ways. For example, he sleeps with his stuffed toys, he likes his Dinoblazer Action Figures and he even quit writing his popular comic Zoo-Wee-Mama because he needed time to play with his Dinoblazer Action Figures, and he likes a singer called Joshie. At Christmas, he gets many childish things and he even gives Greg childish toys and he once even gave him a Big-Wheel. In the Rodrick Rules movie after watching "The Foot", he got very scared and had to get his parents to take him home. In the book he kept his eyes covered the entire time while watching Hello, You're Dead. In Dog Days, when he was sleeping he got a nightmare that there was a chicken under the bed, which made him scream out loud. His parents calmed him down and Rowley went and slept in their room. In the movie, he goes with his parents to close-by places. If not, then he'd have to follow Greg Heffley. In the book, he went in kiddie rides for little kids while Greg was in the Cranium Shaker. In Dog Days, Mr. Jefferson, his dad, scolded him for going to scary rides. When it's his birthday, he goes to childish places and invites kids in, from his karate class who are about 5-7 years old and is happy even when he gets childish toys. He is also a fun, loving boy, that many like more than Greg Heffley usually. He sometimes has idiotic behavior which gets Greg Heffley and others into trouble. In Cabin Fever, he got a habit of saying "LOL" instead of laughing.
Physical AppearanceIn the movie series, Rowley is an overweight boy with long bowl shaped hair that is orange and is wider than Greg's but his hair is golden brown in Rodrick Rules and Dog Days. In the book series he has 7 strands of hair that is flat on his head and is wider than Greg's. He has two large teeth and his mouth never appears to be closed, but once inThe Third Wheel, he finally closes his mouth for the third time in the book series as he already closed in the online book, about 7-8 years before and also had closed in Cabin Fever another time. In Hard Luck, since he started dating Abigail Brown, he combed his hair differently, and had 9 strands rather than 7.
- He appears in all of the books and movies, and the online version as well, to date.
- It is never revealed what country Rowley went to on his trip to South America in the book series, but the online book states that he went to Brazil for his trip to South America. Apparently, it is said in the movie that Rowley went to Guatemala.
- Rowley is ironically older than Greg, as his birthday takes place during the first semester of school. Despite being the elder of the two friends, Rowley is often the one that shows immature behavior.
- In the online book, Rowley is said to own a Playstation with 42 games. However, in the movie, Rowley is shown to have a Wii, meaning that he possibly upgraded his console.
- Rowley has visited numerous places - he has visited Europe, Australia, and South America.
- In The Third Wheel ending Greg heard from somewhere that Rowley and Abigail Brown have became couples, but since Greg heard that, it might not be true but there are more chances its true because when they were coming back from dance, Abigail was very close to Rowley and was only talking to him and she was smiling when Rowley escorted her to her house, which explains she felt better and cheered up.Jeff Kinney later revealed in a video that Abigail Brown is Rowley's girlfriend, confirming that they have become a couple.
- Rowley has closed his mouth five times, twice in the online book, once in Cabin Fever, once in The Third Wheel, and once in Hard Luck.